Subject: ISSUE 4 bis - Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] ISSUE 4 - Relationships betweensubjects

Lars Marius

I don't think this issue is *soup* to be pushed on the backburner. My view is at the
opposite that it is a concrete use case on which we can think and procede efficiently
about structure of PS Doc and/or individual PSIs, out of the fuzzy and complex land of
generalities.

The class/subclass (or BT-NT) example is typical and important, because most potential PS
Docs will consist of, or contain some kind of, classification, taxonomy, ontology ...
thesaurus. Maybe focusing on recommendations for those specific use cases would avoid
rambling for ever in very conceptual debates. As Suellen pointed lately, our "target
market" preoccupation is : "What do I do with my existing
classification/headings/thesaurus/ontology subjects". Those have existing specific
structure, defined by well-identified relationships, huge legacy, and if we could deliver
a first recommendation that address correctly that issue, if nothing else, I think we'd
hit at least 90% of potential users. I guess we would cover the scope of GeoLang and
XMLvoc too.

So back to the frontburner - Say we have a botanical taxonomy for trees

Dicotyledones > Fagales > Fagaceae > Fagus

The "definition" (description?) of subject "Fagaceae" includes, for a botanist, two
fundamental kinds of information.

1. The relationships of class Fagaceae with its upperclass Fagales and subclasses (Fagus,
...)
2. The specific characteristics distinguishing Fagaceae among other Fagales

A (PS Doc) topic map representation of this taxonomy could be structured as:

-- either a "flat" set of topics, each one providing all the above information in
"description" occurrences using <resourceData>.
This solution has the advantage to include the whole definition inside a <topic> element,
making it easy to declare the subject indicator as being this <topic> element

-- or a set of topics providing information 2 in "description" occurrences, linked by a
set of class/subclass associations providing information 1. That makes more sense as a
topic map, and will allow to import the hierarchical structure in any topic map engine or
any kind of XTM-conformant "ontology broker", provide search and navigation facilities etc
... But in any case, the subject indicator should provide information 1. And if this
information is not given inside the topic element, the subject indicator has to include
some associations in which the topic plays a role, which leads to a heap of questions ...

-- or both. Information 1 and 2 inside the topics for standalone use, and Information 1
replicated in associations.

The choice will lead to different PS Doc structures. So I suggest we figure the PS Doc
structure recommendation in that use case, and see how it is extensible to other cases
where e.g. more complicated relationships between classes and individual instances are
involved. If we give up because of complexity of the generalisation, at least we would
have something available.

Of course, that would mean split the first deliverable into two parts at least:

1. Recommendations for classifications, taxonomies, thesaurus and similar hierarchical
sets of subjects.
2, 3, ...n ... everything else.

Say what?

Bernard