Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Re: data vs doc

* Thomas Bandholtz

| (a) There is one very concrete unsolved issue:
| Using docs, we have the fragment identifier #myTopic.
| Using data in a machine, we have the query ?id=myTopic.
| Both will work and serve as a valid URI reference, but only in its
| dedicated media.  When the PSI set moves from doc to data or vice
| versa, the URI needs to be changed!

In that case, don't use either. Use /myTopic. Store files to begin
with, and migrate to a database later without changing the actual
URIs.

You should also be a little clearer on what you mean: are you talking
about how to retrieve the <topic> with assertions about a published
subject, or about how to retrieve the published subject indicator?
These cases are not at all equivalent.

* Bernard Vatant

| I don't figure what you mean by "when the PSI set moves". One
| fundamental and necessary feature of a PSI set is indeed *not to
| move*. Either your PSI set is doc-based, either it's data-based. Of
| course you will need different applications to use the former or the
| latter. That's why the PS Doc should include a description of the
| application type needed to use it.

I don't see what the application type has to do with it. The nature of
the published subjects (number, frequency of changes, etc) may affect
how you choose to publish them, but I don't see how the type of using
application matters.

| If you want both applications to be able to deal for your subjects
| set, then you'll have to create both doc-based and data-based PSI
| sets, and maybe declare equivalence in each Subject Indicator, e.g.,
| the resource you retrieve at #myTopic somehow declares that it
| represents the same subject than ?id=myTopic.

What's the point of this? Why can't you just have a single URI? I
don't understand this. Having multiple subject identifiers for a
single subject is the Wrong Thing.

| This notion of equivalent PSIs we have really to settle clearly.

[subject-with-two-indicators
 @"http://psi.example.com/foo/bar";
 @"http://psi.ontopia.net/urghle/burghle";]

Or, if you prefer XTM:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<topicMap xmlns="http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/"; xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"; id="id0">
  <topic id="subject-with-two-indicators">
    <subjectIdentity>
      <subjectIndicatorRef xlink:href="http://psi.example.com/foo/bar"/>
      <subjectIndicatorRef xlink:href="http://psi.ontopia.net/urghle/burghle"/>
    </subjectIdentity>