Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] More grumbling

* Lars Marius Garshol

| For HTML I think we should take a close and serious look at HTML
| metadata profiles. I think they would be simple enough for people to
| use, yet formal and powerful enough for what we need. See

* Mary Nishikawa

| We can also take a look at Encoding Dublin Core Metadata in HTML
| http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2731.txt once again.

I think this is another possibility. The metadata profiles look more
powerful to me, but there may be other reasons to choose the DC
approach.

| Also,  please go back and take a look at the metadata in
|
| http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tm-pubsubj/docs/mni/unspsc-71.htm
|
| If you do a search in google for these
| DC.Title.PSI
| DC.Creator.PSI
| DC.Publisher.PSI

Hmmmm. I am not sure about these. What is the ".PSI" suffix intended
to do? That is, how is "DC.Title.PSI" different from "DC.Title"?

| The metadata was not picked up in the htm file above, though. Maybe
| OASIS has a nofollow policy for webcrawlers for TC areas?

It doesn't. OASIS doesn't have a robots.txt file at all, actually.
I think it is more likely that Google doesn't index metadata fields it
doesn't recognize. The reason they are indexed in the email is
probably that the HTML is not recognized as HTML there.

| I think that if I ever publish PSIs, I will advertise them from an
| OASIS mail list ;-)

Right. :)

| Yes,  I agree with it and it is in keeping with my example in a paper
| I will give at Extreme Markup.
| http://psi.eccma.org/UNSPSC/71.htm This URL works well for the UNSPSC
| classification, but may not work for other domains.   We may be able
| to recommend http://psi.myorg.foo, but I do not know about the rest.

I think that's a nice convention for URIs, but I don't see that it has
any practical significance beyond what the "www." in www.example.com
has. It's good practice, and we may want to document it as such (in
the best practices document), but beyond that...

| The structured metadata is a good idea, but for those who don't have
| domains, why not recommend the use of PURL? I do not understand the
| aversion to this by everyone in our TC.

PURL sounds like a candidate for best practices to me. (That is, not
as part of the recommendations themselves.)

* Lars Marius Garshol

| I think the best we can do is to either leave this issue alone
| completely, or else to write a general "best practices" document and
| cover this as one of the issues there.

* Mary Nishikawa

| I think that what Steve presented is one way of doing things. I did
| not take it to mean that we would be recommending it as the one and
| only way of doing things, however, we need to have more examples
| too.

I agree with that, but I was actually not commenting on the example,
but on the text in Section 1.1, which Steve was proposing should go
into the recommendations. (See the second "[recommendation]".)