Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj-comment] Fwd : On "prohibition" of XTM and URNs

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Lars Marius Garshol
> |
> | Just a small nit: URN schemes which are not registered should have
> | names beginning with 'x-'. I'm guessing that yours is not
> | registered. :)
>
> * Murray Altheim
> |
> | That's only if one accepts the dictates of authority. :-) I look
> | around me on the web and see most don't follow x-, simply because
> | those In Control have made it neigh impossible to register URN
> | schemes. While at Sun we had a hell of time getting "urn:sun"
> | (or Bill Smith with "urn:oasis", if I remember correctly).
>
> Sure, but it doesn't cost much to stick that little 'x-' in front and
> be compliant. To use a Kantian argument: what if everyone were to do
> this? URNs wouldn't work very well any more, would they?

Maybe I'm just being obtuse, but most of the URN schemes I've seen
don't have that "x-" and so long as the naming authority is going
to make it impossible to create non-x domains (as apart from the
DNS where there are millions) I guess I'm simply in protest. From
what I heard at Sun (from those trying to gain a registered domain)
the idea is that there'd only be dozens of domains, not thousands.
That's not going to work. I want my own domain. I suppose I protest
"x-" because it's sort of like "alt." on usenet. I'd they'd made
it "urn:x:" rather than "x-urn:" this might seem different (what's
really in a name anyway?).

> * Lars Marius Garshol
> |
> | Exactly, hence in part our preference for making the indicators
> | themselves HTML with optional metadata in XTM/RDF.
>
> * Murray Altheim
> |
> | or XHTML.
>
> Some people like that. I'm not too keen on it myself.

It's XML. That to me is a big deal. In Ceryle I deal with HTML
as plain text, XHTML as XML.

[...]
> | A web page is full of potential URIs-as-PSIs. There needs to be
> | a simple way of designating which IDs on the page are those URIs,
>
> Does there? I'm not at all sure this is needed. Assuming you could do
> this, what would it give you? As far as I can tell it wouldn't give
> you anything at all, since the only thing a processor would be able to
> discover lots of instances of "URI X is the identifier of some
> subject".
>
> As long as that's all you know about the subject you don't really know
> anything. If you sent out a robot and found 2 million of these you'd
> basically have a mess. :)

No, you'd have the Semantic Web.

There's my proposal of using <meta> elements to contain enough
information to make that not a problem. You'd harvest 2 million
XHTML elements with enough metadata to actually form the basis
of the "Semantic Web," which would then be a practical possibility,
whereas the W3C thinks they're going to get people to stick RDF
on their web pages. Good luck.

    <head>
      <link rel="schema.DC" href="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"; />
      <title>Transportation PSIs</title>
    </head>
          content="http://www.altheim.com/psi/transport.xtm#rail";
          scheme="http://www.oasis-open/registries/psi/"; />
      This Published Subject Identifier (PSI) indicates the subject
      of railroads, those big thingies that run on steel tracks,
      sometimes demolishing anything standing in its way.

I *can* imagine web authors doing something like that, and it would
be harvestable. It uses all the best of our existing technologies;
we already have what we need. The rest is marketing hype to gain
funding for new work, IMO (there's an article related to this
subject re: funding for AI in Red Herring this month).

Murray

[AMX] Augmented Metadata in XHTML, Neocortext.Net Working Draft
   Murray Altheim, Sean Palmer, 10 May 2002
   See: http://www.altheim.com/specs/meta/NOTE-xhtml-augmeta.html
Murray Altheim                  <http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK

      One of the sad things about corporations is that despite
      their name they have no corpora, no body responsible for
      their actions. They are therefore free to do whatever is
      the will of those who control them, and can transmogrify
      as necessary, like ghosts, to thwart those who might try.
                                                          --ma