Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] global UDDI registry

Mary

Your message raises two different issues:

1. Liaison with regrep TC http://oasis-open.org/committees/regrep/index.shtml
This is definitely something to consider. Let us expand further about liaison
issues in a separate thread.

2. I had not so far explore in details the UDDI universe, and really figured the
stakes of it, but I did it this morning, and what I have understood of it is as
follows :
-- UDDI is definitely something big market actors are heavily interested in, the
leading ones being Microsoft and IBM, followed by Intel, Sun, Hewlett-Packard,
Fujitsu, Oracle, Verisign ...
-- UDDI Registries are indeed already Big Business affair. See RealNames
http://www.realnames.com/, a MS partner.
RealNames sells Keywords (TM) starting from $49.00 for Keyword Basic, up to
$199.00 for Keyword Plus.
Keywords you buy for your company/products/services are classified in the
Microsoft UDDI Registry.
Search on Keywords is supported by MS browser right now, e.g. if you type a
Keyword in the address field of IE5, either you are directed directly to the
Keyword's owner favorite URL (if you bought the Keyword Plus), either to a MSN
search page with the Keyword's owner ranked first (for Keyword Basic) ...

And that business is working well indeed. See in:
http://www.realnames.com/Virtual.asp?page=Eng_Corporate_PressRelease_111301

"For RealNames Registries and Registrars, selling Keywords provides an
additional high margin revenue stream. The growth of the RealNames channel
network is strong evidence for the need for consistent, accessible addresses for
all Internet users that Keywords fulfill. The demand for Keywords was so great
in India that Net4India, after becoming a Registrar this past April, recently
become the Keyword Registry for the country.

"We continue to make major progress toward global adoption of Keywords as the
Internet's next-generation naming system," said Keith Teare, founder and CEO of
RealNames. "The intense worldwide demand for Keywords shows that consumers want
to navigate the Internet using simpler, more intuitive Web addresses based on
brand and product names that work in their local languages and character sets.
Keyword usage grew more than 250 percent during the last year, and last month
alone, people directly navigated to websites 136 million times by simply typing
Keywords into the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser address line."

Teare added, "RealNames will continue to enable countries to manage their
country namespaces by giving them local ownership of Keyword licenses and
encouraging them to develop their own network of Registrars and Resellers."

All that lets me wondering ... in a nutshell : What business case does UDDI
support? I don't really know about OASIS policy regarding UDDI, but that is
indeed something to think about ...

Bernard