Subject: [tm-pubsubj] Country.xtm PSI; also proposed region.xtm PSI

Dear TC Members and Prospective Members,

Happy New Year.

Murray, I began to take a look at the PSIs you wrote for XTM because I want
to follow your examples and build on then to make other much-needed
PSIs.  I tried to validate  the contents of language.xtm and country.xtm in
one xtm file and discovered that alpha2 and alpha3 topics are used in both.
We need to define unique IDs for all of the topics in PSIs, no matter which
file they are in, right? If so, I changed the alpha2 alpha3 to beta2, beta3
in country.xtm. I also fixed the "Afghanistan" instance in country.xtm (I
hope you don't mind. You had written "to fix" so I made it the same as the
other instances, otherwise, the file would not have validated).

Also, I think that you mentioned that you worked on a PSI for DC Elements.
I think that we really do need it. Can you submit it, if you have it? Thanks.

I created a new PSI region.xtm which is the
"Composition of macro geographical (continental) regions and component
geographical regions"

http://www.un.org/depts/unsd/methods/m49regin.htm

of the United Nations Statistical Division.

http://www.un.org/depts/unsd/methods/

There are also countries and codes associated with this listing. I wonder
how we could incorporate this information into country.xtm, or should we
keep this as a separate PSI? Only trying to cover geography can get quite
complex. I am wondering how we should handle class instances. Can we safely
define a Continental region  as a super-class and component geographical
regions as a subclass? Should we also define associations in a PSI?

I took this approach and wonder if it would work:

topic id="eastern-africa"

instanceOf
topicRef xlink:href="#continental-region-name"

instanceOf
topicRef xlinkhref="#africa"

At the last meeting, Steve, you mentioned that the reference itself could
be thought of as the "published subject." Did you mean the original
resource itself such as
http://www.un.org/depts/unsd/methods/m49regin.htm or a TM author defined
document?

For example I could do this--

topic id="continental-region-name"

instanceOf
topicRef xlink:href="core.xtm#class"

subjectIdentity
subjectIndicatorRef xlink:href="continentinental-region-desc"

subjectIdentity
subjectIndicatorRef xlink:href="cr-pub-subj.html#continentinental-region"

If we did create a  cr-pub-subj.html  document  and define what it would
contain. Did you mean something like this?

Bernard, I was not sure about the copy write notice. I used both
topucMaps.org and Oasis-Open.org. I also wondered if we need to formally
get permission from the UNSD if we do want to use this.

I really want to get started working on this and I have others that I want
to work on. I am looking forward to everyone's feedback.

Cheers,
Mary

**************************************
Mary Y. Nishikawa, Technical Editor & EDMS Support
XML Evangelist
Technique/ InTouch Documentation
Schlumberger K. K.
2-2-1 Fuchinobe