Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Re: Country.xtm PSI; also proposed region.xtm PSI

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Murray Altheim
> |
> | I'm not sure what you mean here. What would be the URI for <basename>,
> | for example? Without faking it and using (say) the table of contents
> | in the XTM 1.0 Specification or some other trickery (which I'm known
> | for).
>
> It would be the namespace URI + the local name. That is:

Is this way of referring to elements defined anywhere? Perhaps in a
W3C specification or something? I can see what you mean here of course,
but I've never seen any spec defining this way of expressing it.

[...]
> | but if you've also done an XTM-to-RDF, you had no way of expressing
> | (in a machine-understandable way) how each language component in the
> | RDF result maps to the language components in XTM. Had you a PSI for
> | each you could have built an RDF schema providing that information.
>
> Maybe. I see what you're aiming at, and it would be nice if it could
> be done in a way that yielded a useful result. In fact, I'm still
> supposed to submit a workshop proposal for Seattle to develop an RDF
> Schema for topic maps there. That may or may not be what you are
> looking for.

I'm much more interested in the PSIs for the language components than
I am in the RDF schema, to be honest. I have my own subversive ideas
about what to do with them.... :-)

Murray

Murray Altheim, Staff Engineer          <mailto:murray.altheim&#64;sun.com>
Java and XML Software
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

       Ernst Martin comments in 1949, "A certain degree of noise in
       writing is required for confidence. Without such noise, the
       writer would not know whether the type was actually printing
       or not, so he would lose control."