Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Re: Country.xtm PSI; also proposed region.xtm PSI

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Lars Marius Garshol
> |
> | It would be the namespace URI + the local name. That is:
>
> * Murray Altheim
> |
> | Is this way of referring to elements defined anywhere? Perhaps in a
> | W3C specification or something? I can see what you mean here of
> | course, but I've never seen any spec defining this way of expressing
> | it.
>
> RDF does exactly this, but I'm not sure if any other W3C specification
> defines things this way. I think most of them keep the namespace URI
> and the local name apart, and never produce a single URI for each
> element type.

So really, this isn't a good solution for us.

> Note that attributes have no namespace unless they are given a prefix,
> so this does in any case not work for the "id" attribute.

I guess I'm not surprised to hear this about RDF. The W3C seems to have
done everything in their power to confuse us about URIs and namespaces,
and this continues in the tradition. What if we'd named an XTM element
something like <index.html>? Perfectly legal, but its namespace is then:

   http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/index.html

Go figure. Double duh. I wish somebody'd had the ability to declare a
URN namespace, and had all XML namespace URIs declared within that. But
there were too many people who wanted to be able to resolve the name
(because of the continued confusion over names and addresses within the
W3C) so a namespace was no longer a named-space, it was a location for
a schema. *sigh*

Murray

Murray Altheim, Staff Engineer          <mailto:murray.altheim&#64;sun.com>
Java and XML Software
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

       Ernst Martin comments in 1949, "A certain degree of noise in
       writing is required for confidence. Without such noise, the
       writer would not know whether the type was actually printing
       or not, so he would lose control."