Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Re: TC Website reorganization, and drafts update

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Mary Nishikawa
> |
> | For example, if Schlumberger were to implement topic maps, I do not
> | think that we would go through the trouble and expense to create
> | specialized xml documents to provide addressable resources for the
> | same reasons you pointed out. There are generic PSIs that we would
> | use though.
>
> My feeling is that the main cost will be in arriving at a well
> thought-out set of subjects and text clearly documenting them, and
> that once that's done the task of typing it in, or converting it from
> some other format is going to be minor.

If you look at the topic maps I've developed (language, country,
region, Cycorp, ITIS zoological taxonomy, etc.) they are all
transformations of these existing systems into XTM. The cost has
already been assumed before I ever did anything with them, and in
many cases there's already existing HTML documentation to provide
subject indicators. The cost of conversion wasn't significant, but
I'd hardly call it minor. In the case of many systems it will be
considerable, especially if the source materials aren't already
in addressable form.

> | I would guess that the most common general use case would be PSI
> | sets created with one or more SDD documents in html with fragment
> | identifiers for each subject in the resource.
>
> I am not so sure of that. In fact, I was fairly firmly convinced that
> PSDs would usually be published in XTM form, in order to be maximally
> useful. Why do you think HTML is to be preferred?

I think Mary is talking about the subject indicator documentation,
which is human-readable and useful outside of the realm of XTM. The
XTM topic maps point into the HTML files to obtain human-readable
descriptions of the subjects. The XTM documents have only the names
of the topics and are not really suitable as the main source of
documentation (unless we add that PSI for "documentation" that we
talked about at one point).

Murray

Murray Altheim, Staff Engineer          <mailto:murray.altheim&#64;sun.com>
Java and XML Software
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

       Ernst Martin comments in 1949, "A certain degree of noise in
       writing is required for confidence. Without such noise, the
       writer would not know whether the type was actually printing
       or not, so he would lose control."