Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Requirements part1 - towards final draft

Suellen Stringer-Hye wrote:

>         tm-pubsubj <tm-pubsubj@lists.oasis-open.org>
>
> [BV]
> 2. "subject definition document"
> It comes out from exchanges between Murray and Mary that "document" could be often a
> "document node".
> So this terminology can be misleading, but I don't see what to propose instead. What is
> the generic term for
> "document or part of document"? Some suggestions:
>
> "resource" (seems controversial to me)
> "element" (suggesting too much maybe that it should be an XML element)
>
> [SSH]
>
> Bernard,
>
> Before I weigh in with an opinion can you say why you think
> "resource" would  be controversial?

I think "resource" is probably not accurate enough, and in the XTM 1.0
Specification we called it an "addressable resource". I'd stick with
XTM terminology as much as possible in order to avoid confusion or the
creation of new terms when they might already exist.

I think in general "addressable resource" is about as accurate as we'll
get, since a subject descriptor is anything at the end of that address,
which might be a query string, a URL, an XPath, a URN, etc. Local (ie.,
custom) resolution of such addresses may be system dependent, but would
still be functional within that system. The actual resources being
pointed to might be fragments of web pages (my recommendation in the
general case) but could be generated images on a CAD/CAM system, returns
from database queries, laser light shows. Who knows?

Murray

Murray Altheim                         <mailto:murray.altheim&#x40;sun.com>
XML Technology Center, Java and XML Software
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

            Corporations do not have human rights, despite the
          altogether too-human opinions of the US Supreme Court.