Subject: [tm-pubsubj] Subject Indicator and Subject Indicator Reference (again)

I really bang my head on that issue :(

Reviewing a paper to be published on a next issue of Interchange, the ISUG bulletin, that
I had written at the end of November - before Orlando - I figured that the terminology I
used in this paper was of course not conformant with the one we are trying to agree upon.
I had no difficulty to introduce Published Subjects Documentation, but I'm still uneasy
with Subject Indicator and Subject Indicator Reference.

In particular, Murray pointed out that we should make the distinction between URIs and
references to URIs.
If I understand well ... let's take an example.

<topicMap>
<topic id="chromosphere">
<subjectIdentity>
<subjectIndicatorRef
xlink:href="http://www.universimmedia.com/soleil/lexique/chromosphere.htm"/>
</subjectIdentity>
</topic>

1. What is the "subject indicator reference" ?

a)   xlink:href=http://www.universimmedia.com/soleil/lexique/chromosphere.htm

or

b)   http://www.universimmedia.com/soleil/lexique/chromosphere.htm

2. What is the "subject indicator" ?

a)  http://www.universimmedia.com/soleil/lexique/chromosphere.htm

or

b)  The resource (document) we retrieve from this URL.
(that has not been declared by his publisher as a Subject Definition Resource ...)

-- Murray, will you say 1.a) and 2.a) ? Looks like that I had written in the above quoted
paper anyway.

-- But I'm afraid what we have put in the RecommendationsGlossary is more like 1.b) and
2.b)

-- And ISO 13250 seems to say 2.b) also for subject indicator (or is it clear about it?)

-- My view is that sticking to 2.a) "subject indicator" = "subject identifier" = "the URI"
is the more sustainable and explainable.
In that case we have no name for 2.b) in the case the resource is not a declared Subject
Definition Resource (the quoted example). But do we need a name in that (non recommended)
case?

"Help, I need somebody. Help etc ..."