Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Subject Indicator and Subject Indicator Reference(again)

Bernard Vatant wrote:

> I really bang my head on that issue :(
>
> Reviewing a paper to be published on a next issue of Interchange, the ISUG bulletin, that
> I had written at the end of November - before Orlando - I figured that the terminology I
> used in this paper was of course not conformant with the one we are trying to agree upon.
> I had no difficulty to introduce Published Subjects Documentation, but I'm still uneasy
> with Subject Indicator and Subject Indicator Reference.
>
> In particular, Murray pointed out that we should make the distinction between URIs and
> references to URIs.
> If I understand well ... let's take an example.
>
> <topicMap>
> <topic id="chromosphere">
> <subjectIdentity>
> <subjectIndicatorRef
> xlink:href="http://www.universimmedia.com/soleil/lexique/chromosphere.htm"/>
> </subjectIdentity>
> </topic>
>
> 1. What is the "subject indicator reference" ?
>
> a)   xlink:href=http://www.universimmedia.com/soleil/lexique/chromosphere.htm

No.

> or
>
> b)   http://www.universimmedia.com/soleil/lexique/chromosphere.htm

No. The reference is "essentially"

      "http://www.universimmedia.com/soleil/lexique/chromosphere.htm"

The URI reference is a URI used in the context of a reference, which is
the *content* of an attribute value, not the whole attribute specification.

> 2. What is the "subject indicator" ?
>
> a)  http://www.universimmedia.com/soleil/lexique/chromosphere.htm
>
> or
>
> b)  The resource (document) we retrieve from this URL.
> (that has not been declared by his publisher as a Subject Definition Resource ...)
>
> -- Murray, will you say 1.a) and 2.a) ? Looks like that I had written in the above quoted
> paper anyway.

I believe there are two ways to look at this. In the context of XTM the
subject indicator is the thing that points at the thing that indicates
the subject of a topic. That pointer takes the form of the content of
the <subjectIndicator> element. The thing being pointed at an be any
resource. I think the conundrum you're pointing out is that we should
have something called a subject indicator reference, just as we have
"URI reference." We actually *do* have this, in the sense that the content
of the aforementioned element shows up as such (notice the mirror of the
phrase "*** reference"):

  <subjectIndicator>
      <topicRef xlink:href="<URI>"/>
  <subjectIndicator>

This is a reference inside of a wrapper, semantically similar to "URI"
inside "URI reference."

> -- But I'm afraid what we have put in the RecommendationsGlossary is more like 1.b) and
> 2.b)
>
> -- And ISO 13250 seems to say 2.b) also for subject indicator (or is it clear about it?)
>
> -- My view is that sticking to 2.a) "subject indicator" = "subject identifier" = "the URI"
> is the more sustainable and explainable.
> In that case we have no name for 2.b) in the case the resource is not a declared Subject
> Definition Resource (the quoted example). But do we need a name in that (non recommended)
> case?

I think "subject indicator" is the thing in the XTM document that
contains the reference (as above), the thing being pointed to is
a resource indicating the subject. I don't know that "Subject
Definition Resource" is really necessary.

Murray

Murray Altheim                         <mailto:murray.altheim&#x40;sun.com>
XML Technology Center, Java and XML Software
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

            Corporations do not have human rights, despite the
          altogether too-human opinions of the US Supreme Court.