Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Re: TC Website reorganization, and drafts update

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Now we're on the same page. I consider this to be absolutely OK,
| although I would prefer the definitions to be in the XTM document
| where possible. That does not preclude their publication in HTML
| form, so long as the XTM version remains the point of common
| reference.

* Mary Nishikawa

| Are you recommending here that we should stick to the same syntax
| for whatever published subjects documentation set we make? It's
| either all XTM, RDF or XHTML?

I haven't a fully-formed opinion on this yet, but probably not. It
seems best if there is one human-readable part and one machine-readable.
HTML seems best for the first, XTM for the second.

| I am still wondering about the syntax for the metadata. For XTM
| syntax, I think that we need a PSI set for the DC elements we want
| to use for the metadata of our published subjects.

So do I, though whether all the PSIs would be DC-related I don't know.

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Not necessarily. You could do it, but you could also choose to use
| some other URI. The fact that some documentation for the subject can
| be found at that URI does not in any way compel TM authors to use that
| particular URI as the subject indicator reference. You might establish
| a different set of URIs and recommend their use instead. Duplication
| is in this case no problem.

* Mary Nishikawa

| I am still trying to get what you meant by this after looking at the
| discussion about subject indicator and subject indicator reference.
| So, if I did not use the original resource for the subject indicator
| reference, it could then possibly be used as a topic occurrence,
| addressable via a URI using <resourceRef>?  I would instead use some
| definition of the subject in a resourceData element within an
| occurrence element, and use the fragment identifier as the subject
| indicator reference?

I don't quite follow this, but it seems in any case to be unrelated to
the point I was trying to make.

What I am trying to say is that for any given published subject there
is likely to be a number of copies of the SDR, both local and
global. The question for topic map authors is then: which copy do we
refer to? It is in order to settle this issue that I think the PSD
must contain the canonical SIR for each subject.

| The subject indicator reference in this case would be the base uri
| plus the filename plus the fragment identifier as the attribute of
| xlink:href and the subject indicator would be the contents within
| the resouceData element?

Yes.

| I'm not so sure what you mean by duplication. Are you saying that
| sets of published subject indicators for the same subjects (in a
| classification for example) may in fact be different. Two different
| publishers could actually published the subjects with different
| subject indicator?

That's likely to happen, but it's not what I was thinking of. I was
thinking of different copies of the same subject definition resources.
Most likely there will be one definition in an XTM document, perhaps
another in HTML form, maybe something in PDF/Word as well, then lots
of local copies on hard drives here and there.

Which copy should the poor topic map author refer to? To a human every
copy will work equally well as a subject indicator, since the text is
the same. It is machines that run into problems when they try to merge
and find lots of different URIs that, unbeknownst to the machine,
refer to the same text.

| I better get to sleep, otherwise I will begin going in circles about
| all of these definitions again.

Sorry about the confusion. I hope my explanatory document, now
published by Bernard, will help to clear it up.

--Lars M.