Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Subject Indicator and Subject Indicator Reference(again)

* Lars Marius Garshol

| No, I agree with you that "identifier" seems right. It is what is
| going to be used to identify subjects. On the other hand it has
| until now been seen merely as something that points to the *real*
| identifier, the subject indicator. I never liked that view, but I
| know there are people who do, and who haven't been heard in this
| debate (SRN, in particular).

* Bernard Vatant

| We have to bring them in this debate.

I just discussed this at length with Steve Pepper instead, and I am
now happy about the view we present in our proposal. It would be good
to get SRN/MB as well into this, but they are busy redesigning PMTM4
at the moment, so I'm not sure if it's feasible.

| This is the difference between *definition* and *identifier*.
| Definition is what can be understood by humans (hopefully),
| identifier is for "automatic" applications (be it bureaucratic paper
| files, or computers). Definition is *in* the subject indicator, and
| identifier is the URI. What makes all the system fit together
| (humans and machines) is a correct matching between identifier and
| definition.

Exactly!

* Lars Marius Garshol

| On the other hand, what is in the topic map is the URI, so that view
| could be said to hold a certain natural supremacy.

* Bernard Vatant

| It's not supremacy,

I was talking to myself (0130 at night), and that time the one held
supremacy over the other in my mind. :)

--Lars M.