Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Jan 29 agenda: Documentation formats

At 17:48 28/01/02 +0100, I wrote:

>(c) We should describe best practices for both eventualities. For example,
>we will say that the published subject indicator should explicitly state
>which URL is to be used as the published subject identifier. (This is done
>in the existing core.xtm, but not the country.xtm or language.xtm.)

and then I provided an example that flouted my own best practice:

>   <topic id="abugida">
>      <subjectIdentity>
>        <subjectIndicatorRef
>          xlink:href="http://psi.ontopia.net/i18n/i18n.xtm#abugida"/>
>      </subjectIdentity>
>      <baseName>
>        <baseNameString>Abugida</baseNameString>
>      </baseName>
>      <occurrence>
>        <instanceOf>
>          <subjectIndicatorRef
>
>xlink:href="http://psi.oasis-open.org/pubsubj/pubsubj.xtm#psidef"/>
>        </instanceOf>
>        <resourceData>A type of writing system in which each character
> represents a
>        consonant followed by a specific vowel, and the other vowels are
> represented
>       by a consistent modification of the consonant symbols.</resourceData>
>      </occurrence>
>    </topic>

I changed the example at the last moment and screwed things up. What I
think I would want to do is add the PSI (published subject identifier) as
another internal occurrence, in addition to the definition that is already
there:

     <occurrence>
       <instanceOf>
         <subjectIndicatorRef
           xlink:href="http://psi.oasis-open.org/pubsubj/pubsubj.xtm#psi"/>
       </instanceOf>
       <resourceData>http://psi.ontopia.net/i18n/i18n.xtm#abugida</resourceData>
     </occurrence>

This example is not fully thought through, but it does indicate the
direction of our thinking.

It also shows some of the published subjects that we will need to define
ourselves...

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Executive Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)