Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] mixed feelings

* Thomas Bandholtz

| Using URLs as unique identifiers has not been invented by PSI. Any
| community may handle this in a specific context.
|
| Any community may use any PSI-URL as a unique identifier, even
| ignoring any topic instance that may be accessed via this URL.
|
| On the other hand, we may use any non-topic, but intentionally
| published, persistent URL in the role of a PSI. Why not?

This is more or less my own view, although I think we may find that
some decisions about PSIs that seem reasonable for topic maps may
create problems for other technologies. To the extent that we can
avoid that (with our imperfect knowledge of these other technologies)
I think we should.

I don't expect this to be very controversial, though.