Subject: RE: [tm-pubsubj] FW: TC comment list configurations (part 1)

The debate being now settled down, and following Karl's request, I
hereby ask TC members to comply to OASIS guidelines, and conduct all TC
internal debate on present list tm-pubsubj, and not on
tm-pubsubj-comment, which is dedicated to non-member comments.

Reminder : both lists archives are public anyway

Bernard

_____________________________________

Bernard Vatant
Senior Consultant - Knowledge Engineering
www.mondeca.com
_____________________________________

| |
| |
| | Karl
| |
| | I'm quite puzzled by your message. I don't know about my colleagues
| Lars
| | Marius and Holger, but I certainly missed, on purpose, the distinguo
| | between "public comment" and "public discussion". In Topic Maps
land,
| all
| | standardization process has always been very open and public. Maybe
| it's
| | again OASIS rules, but letting people *comment* without ability to
| | *discuss* is something that I just can't understand, and even less
| | *stand*. "We've heard what you have to say, thanks, we'll take it
into
| | account". This is the way it is done in many places, yes ... why? I
| | wonder. And those places in any case I fly away from.
| | For me, either a process is public, and there is a forum for public
| | discussion, either it is not for some good reason, and all is
private:
| no
| | public discussion, no public comment. Concerning our TCs (Published
| | Subjects) work, I don't see *any* reason not to have public
| discussion. I
| | would say the more we have, the better.
| |
| | The work of Published Subjects TCs is deeply connected with other
| working
| | groups, like ISO SC34/WG3, or recently XRI, and hopefully other to
| come,
| | like OWL. Issues are discussed back and forth. If not on the public
| lists,
| | where are those exchanges supposed to be made?
| |
| | In which way public discussion is a problem? For whom?
| | Why should the discussion be "prevented"?
| |
| | This latter expression just frightens me ... sorry, I've always been
| man
| | of free speech. Is OASIS the wrong place for that? I hope not.
| |
| | Regards
| |
| | Bernard
| | _____________________________________
| |
| | Bernard Vatant
| | Senior Consultant - Knowledge Engineering
| | www.mondeca.com
| | _____________________________________
| |
| |
| | |
| | | Ranjeeth and Rex (HumanML):
| | | Bernard, Lars, Holger (TopicMaps):
| | |
| | | As part of moving our TC operations to the Kavi system I'm looking
| at
| | | how our mail lists should be configured. I'm concerned
specifically
| | | about the TC comment lists. When I refer back to the OASIS TC
| Process
| | | (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.shtml#visibility) I
| see:
| | |
| | | "...Each TC shall be provided upon formation with a general list
and
| | | comment list.... The purpose of the TC comment list is to receive
| | | comments from the public and is not for public discussion. The
| comment
| | | list of a TC shall be publicly subscribable. TCs shall not be
| required
| | | to respond to comments...."
| | |
| | | In particular I'm very concerned that various comment lists have
| turned
| | | into public discussion lists, yours in particular -- which I why
I'm
| | | corresponding with just you instead of all of the chairs.
| | |
| | | I need to set up the comment lists so that they can be used as
| intended
| | | simply for one-way communication, i.e. submission of comments from
| the
| | | public to the TC. A simple way to accomplish this would be for
| messages
| | | from the comment list to be forwarded to the TC list, but I have
| doubts
| | | of whether that would prevent discussions. The other option would
be
| for
| | | the comments to be sent strictly to the chair, or to a small
number
| of
| | | people nominated by the chair. But I'm not sure how this fits with
| the
| | | requirement that "The comment list of a TC shall be publicly
| | | subscribable." Another option is to have the comment lists
moderated
| by
| | | someone (who? the chair?) so that discussion can be prevented.
| | |
| | | Comments?
| | |
| | |