Subject: RE: [tm-pubsubj] TR: Could owl:sameAs reference non-OWL resources?

Lars Marius

Quick and partial answer, more argumented one to come under the provocative
title "Are Topic Maps soluble in OWL?"
including comments on your quoted paper (which I have studied with great
interest).

We've envisioned several formats for PSI documentation and metadata, and
you have yourself provided XTM files for GeoLang PSIs. XTM is also to make
statements about the subjects, right?

My reasons for pushing that are both technical and political:

1. An ontology (whatever format) is basically a repository of
well-identified subjects (plus statements).
2. In OWL, subjects (classes, properties and instances) are identified by
URIs.
3. OWL provides all what is needed for expression of metadata about
subjects, and about the ontology itself.
4. OWL seems here to stay, and the more I look at it, the more I find it a
very well designed and powerful language, and that is bound to get a quick
and widespread adoption, as far as I can hear from customers and partners.
I know this opinion is far for being shared by everyone in the Topic Map
community, where it's usual (would I say fashionable) to dismiss whatever
is coming from W3C ... well. IOW what is implied by the above-quoted
provocative question is if OWL could supercede XTM as a Topic Map
interchange format (wait a minute, Lars Marius, don't shout yet, I'll
explain).
5. Jim Hendler, OWL working group chair, is really interested in
interoperability of OWL, Topic Maps and Published Subjects, and asked me to
comment the final OWL draft in that respect (dealine for that public
comment on OWL being May 9, BTW)

So, this is only a part of a big picture. Of course this committee is free
not to follow that path, but I would like to have at least the opportunity
to explain it.

Bernard