Subject: RE: [tm-pubsubj] Requirements oddity

| "A Published Subject Indicator may provide human-readable metadata about
| itself."
|
| But the "metadata" isn't really about "itself" is it?

Sure: It's information such as the date on which the subject
indicator was published.

| Actually I think we need to revisit the entire document and re-write
| using Published Subject, Published Subject Identifier and Published
| Subject Indicator, written out in full and limit the use of PSI as
| shorthand for Published Subject. Not a happy circumstance but would
| accord with our usage up to this point.

As I already pointed out, the committee decided to use two acronyms,
PSI and PSID, neither of which expands to "published subject".

Although I would have preferred to use a single acronym, I don't
think it should expand to published subject. In my experience,
that's not where we need it most.

I would like people to be able to ask: "Is there a PSI for X?",
meaning: "Is there a published subject indicator/identifier
for X? Not "Is there a published subject for X?"

"Is there a published subject for X?" is ungrammatical. You
would have to ask: "Is X a published subject?", but it is more
intuitive to ask: "Is there a PSI for X?" (or "Are there any
PSIs for X?").

Steve

--
Steve Pepper <pepper@ontopia.net>