Subject: RE: [tm-pubsubj] Requirements oddity

* Patrick Durusau:

| So, lets construct the Published Subject Indicator, apple.html:
|
| <head>
| </head>
|
| OK, do these two together meet the requirements and recommendations?:

| Requirement 3: State its URI? yes

No. The string "http://psi.fruits.org/apple.html"; should appear
in the body of the document, along with the compelling, human-readable
indication of the identity of the subject" (i.e., the definition).

| Recommendation 1: human-readable metadata about itself? yes

No. The metadata about the subject indicator (in particular, the
publisher and the date) is not human-readable, in my opinion.
Techie-readable maybe (using View Source), but not human-readable :-)

| Recommendation 2: machine-interpretable metadata about itself? yes

Agreed.

| Recommendation 3. 1 and 2 are consistent? yes

Not as long as 1 does not exist :-)

| Recommentation 4. Declares itself a PSI? yes

No. Where does it say - in a human-readable form - that this
resource is intended to be a (published) subject indicator?

| Recommendation 5: Declares its publisher? yes

But again, not in human-readable form.

| Question 1: What in this HTML page is about the Published Subject
| Indicator and which is about the Published Subject Identifier? Is there
| a difference?

In my opinion, it is all about the published subject indicator.
Even the published subject identifier is metadata about the PSI
(property type: location).

| Question 2: More specifically, is the date metadata about the Published
| Subject Indicator or about the Published Subject Identifier?

The date is metadata about the subject indicator.

| Would it make a difference if it read:

Yes. Then at least *some* of the metadata would be human-readable.

| Question 3: Declare itself to be a PSI? Shouldn't it say Published
| Subject Indicator? It is obviously not a Published Subject Identifier.

Yes, it should say so explicitly.

| One problem I am wrestling with is how do machines discover information
| about Published Subject Identifiers?

Why do machines need information about the identifiers? Isn't it
enough to *know* the identifier and have information about the
(corresponding) subject indicator?

| If the semantics of metadata in a Published Subject Indicator were
| declared to be "about" the Published Subject Identifier, we could have:
|
| <rdf:RDF
|      xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#";
|      xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"/>
|     <rdf:Description
|         rdf:about="http://psi.fruits.org/apple.html";
|         dc:publisher="Johnny Appleseed"
|         dc:description="Apple: Round firm fleshy fruit of a rosaceous tree"
|         dc:type="Published Subject Indicator"
|         dc:date="2003-09-14" />
| </rdf:RDF>

This is fine as it is ... except that dc:description is misplaced.
You have provided a description of the subject itself, not of the
subject indicator (or identifier).

| Which not only meets all the requirements and recommendations but is
| also machine-processable metadata "about" the Published Subject
| Identifier. (Actually since we suggested consistency between
| human/machine metadata, we could simply say it applies to both?)

It meets the machine-readability recommendations, which are about
metadata for the subject indicator (with the except of the
dc:description property, as noted above).

| While it is true that topic map processors will only "match" the
| Published Subject Identifiers for subject identity purposes, making it
| easy for other software to seek out and store metadata from Published
| Subject Indicators "about" Published Subject Identifiers, looks like a
| good strategy.

I still don't understand why software needs metadata about identifiers
rather than indicators.

We *do* need ways for software to "seek out" PSIs in general, but
that's another story...

Steve

--
Steve Pepper <pepper@ontopia.net>