Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Proposals for next TC deliverables

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 11:26, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> This is a follow-up of my last answer to Lars Marius.
>
> If we stick to what had been our latest decided deliverable structure, the
> to-do list is as following:
>
> D2. Recommendations for Published Subjects Documentation Structure
> D3. Recommendations for Published Subjects Management
> D4. Recommendations for Published Subjects Use
>
> We have been struggling for a while with D2, and let a pile of questions on
> the backburner.
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tm-pubsubj/docs/recommendations/issues
> .htm
>
> Maybe we should not try to deliver generic answers to those issues. But we
> could at least agree on the generic vocabulary about them, reviewing what
> has been left, based on Lars Marius analysis from May 2002, at:
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tm-pubsubj/docs/recommendations/psdoc.
> htm
>
> That would lead to a Deliverable 2 reduced in scope to something like:
> "Published Subjects Documentation - General Definitions"

I think at this stage it might be a good idea to do this, rather
than delay D2 (forgive me if I have missed an interim argument
against this move).

> In which we would not recommend any specific features like format or
> metadata, but simply set the generic vocabulary about PSD, to be used in
> various use cases. After that, we would focus on addressing those issues
> and make specific recommendations for specific domains/scenarios/use cases
> in a further set of deliverables, each addressing Structure, Management and
> Use for the specific case. The generic structure of those further
> deliverables should be described in D2, like:
>
> - Definition of the scenario
> 	- Legacy to be expressed as PSI
> 	- Objectives and expected benefits of PSI in this scenario
> 	- Users requirements
> - PSD Structure in the scenario
> 	- .. following general elements defined in D2
> 	- .. addressing specific features (metadata, format ...)
> - PSD Management
> 	- avalaibility, versioning ...
> - PSD Use
> 	- specific recommendation for use in the scenario

Can we generate sufficient distinct sample use cases to make this
useful? The ones you specify are important, but they are all more
or less "library cataloging" type information.

> As for the scenarios themselves, here is a list that comes to my mind - not
> exhaustive ...
>
> - PSI for Structured Vocabularies (Thesaurus)
> - PSI for Classification Schemes (e.g. Documentation Categories : LoC, DDC
> ...)
> - PSI for Population of Similar Instances (e.g. ISBN, ISO Country Codes,
> NASDAQ ...)
>
> Those three could be fine to begin with. More difficult could be the
> following ones.
>
> - PSI for Vertical Industry (might include one or more of the previous
> ones)
> - PSI for Distributed Enterprise (idem)
> - PSI for Community of Practice (idem)

Those would be very useful as well as practical.

///Peter