Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] [Fwd: NISO-Sponsored INFO URI Scheme Published]

Bernard,

Actually responding to Peter's post below:

Bernard Vatant wrote:
> Peter

<snip>

Can you say a bit more about how:

> it fails the test of being able to "deliver" (in a service sense not a
> network or transmission one) anything that the http scheme does not
> already manage.
?

As it stands now, the http scheme implies that there is a resource that
can be found by resolving the URI.

For example, I could write: http://www.loc.gov/lccn/2002022641, but most
users would expect that to resolve to something. (I just checked and it
does not.)

So, without constructing any such URIs, the Library of Congress can
simply say, here is the format to using Library of Congress Control
Numbers as identifiers.

That seems like a significant advantage to me, at least from the
standpoint of using legacy identifiers, of which there are quite a few.

If your argument is that one "could" use the http scheme to the same
effect, I suppose that is true, but is contrary to the expectation of
users.

Note further the limitation of the character set that can be used under
the http scheme and one starts to see real limitations in terms of using
  it instead of this most recent proposal.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick