Subject: Fw: [egov] Metadata-template for taxonomies

Sorry for the cross-post and excuse my ignorance, but have those interested in the Geo-spatial stuff in TopicMpas, seen this...?

Regards,

Peter
----- Original Message -----
From: Carl Reed
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 5:33 PM
Subject: Re: [egov] Metadata-template for taxonomies

All -

Just to throw one other element into this discussion. The ISO TC 211
(geospatial) and the Open GIS Consortium both use the ISO 19115 (metadata
for things spatial) standard as the abstract model foundation for expressing
spatial metadata. As many of the current and emerging E-Government
applications have a spatial component, perhaps 19115 should also be
considered (Please see note below).

Carl Reed
OGC

ISO 19115 - Metadata, is a formal schema for geospatial metadata that is
intended to apply to all types of spatial information. ISO 19115 provides a
UML  model of metadata, based on the US Federal Geographic Data Committee's
(FGDC's FGDC) Content Standard. Its chief purpose is to support profiles,
using a small set of required elements and many optional ones. (ISO 19115 is
largely harmonized with the Dublin Core and  in the US, the FGDC Content
Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata.) Many government organizations
have developed data and metadata that conform to these standards. All future
registered ISO/ TC211 metadata profiles must include these core elements, to
ensure interoperability and to guarantee productive searches. For the
purpose of spatial catalogs, the schema and core elements of ISO 19115 must
be implemented by conforming implementations. A future metadata
implementation schema (ISO 19139) in progress and will soon offer
implementation guidance.