Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] A bit of context RE: [tm-pubsubj] RE: [VM,ALL] Revised scope statement

This is really useful info. but only underlines ever
more the need for some "joined up" thinking even
*within* OASIS: the eGov TC is doing related work on
this, as has the ubl, and ebXML RegRep TCs...

The seminar in Norway next week on "seantic
interoperability"[1], at which a few OASIS TC people
will be present, might move forward on some of the
organisational concerns...

Peter

[1] http://www.brreg.no/workshop/

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2004Jun/0066.html

> where the TF is defined.
>
> Bernard Vatant
> Senior Consultant
> Knowledge Engineering
> Mondeca - www.mondeca.com
> bernard.vatant@mondeca.com

TF
> would,
> > > in contrast, focus on the identification of terms
> (and of
> > > versions of terms and sets of terms) and on
> policies and
> > > practices related to the identification of terms.
> >
> > The real issue here is to know if it makes sense to
> identify terms (or anything else)
> > independently of any application context. For
> example, in a Thesaurus, the application
> > context of a term (i.e. its contextual definition)
is
> expressed by its BT, NT, RT, UF,
> > USE, Scope Note ... If you strip a term off all this
> contextual information,
> > what's left?
> > a name? a URI? A bare identifier without any
> identification context is as useful as a
> > credit card number outside any banking system.
> > IOW, relationships between identification and
> contextual definition are tricky to
> > entangle, and setting generic term identification
> valid for *any* context seems very
> > difficult (read : barely possible).
> >
> > > I sense that we might plausibly agree on some
basic
> principles
> > > regarding identification and on the need to
> articulate one's
> > > policies, but that there is still "an evolving
> diversity" of
> > > approaches towards documenting, representing, and
> publishing
> > > a vocabulary.
> > >
> > > But that's okay -- at that point, the VM TF could
> simply point
> > > off to other documents and practices such as the
> the THES/PORT
> > > TF note and the OASIS Published Subjects work you
> cite below.
> >
> > If that means : There is a generic question of term
> identification, generic principles
> > that can be set in the SW context (see below), but
> specific ways to apply those
> > principles
> > always depend on context (e.g. Thesaurus,
Ontologies,
> Topic Maps, Taxonomies ...) then I
> > agree.
> > BTW such an approach could help to get out of the
> endless debate on URI meaning, by
> > stressing the (IMO obvious) fact that whatever an
> identifier identifies
> > necessarily always
> > assumes an application context, and that the Web
> (semantic or otherwise) can barely be
> > considered a univocal application context ...

> "terminological" vs
> > > "conceptual" approaches
> about it in the SW community.
> > > SKOS input is
> current debates about use of
> > > dc:subject
> > >
> > > My instinct would be to cite such debates where
> appropriate
> > > but to put alot of these issues out of scope for
> the VM TF
> > > note itself and focus on lower-hanging fruit.  For
> example,
> > > can we agree that terms should be both identified
> with URIs
> > > and labelled with human language?
> >
> > Hopefully this is a reasonable consensus basis.

are

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=tm-pubsubj

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tm-pubsubj/docs/recommendations/issues.htm

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/3050/pubsubj-pt1-1.02-cs.pdf

> thought for this TF.
> > >
> > > The generic recommendation is nicely written.
> >
> > Congratulations passed to the TC list - and
> particularly to Steve Pepper.
> >
> > > I read it as
> > > saying, in essence: "Subject headings intended for
> use with
> > > Topic Maps should be identified with URIs,
labelled
> with human
> > > language, accompanied with a statement of intended
> use, and
> > > described with metadata."
> > > If this paraphrase does justice
> > > to the recommendation, then it would seem to fit
> perfectly
> > > with what I think the VM TF note should say.
> >
> > Agreed, with some minor corrections to your
> paraphrase.
> > 1. "Subject headings" is somehow a restriction of
> scope of PubSubj recommendation, which
> > is about "subjects" in the widest possible sense,
not
> only those defined in
> > vocabularies.
> > But this restriction is valid in VM TF scope.
> >
> > 2. Topic Maps is the original application context
for
> PSI. But as the
> > introduction of the
> > quoted recommendation hopefully makes clear, it's
not
> the only one.
> >
> > 3. The "human language label" requirement is also a
> restriction of the PubSubj
> > recommendation, which simply states that a subject
> indicator should be "human
> > interpretable". Think about the specific shade of
> blue defined by the RGB code #021A81.
> > This is barely a "human language label", but the
> color itself is pretty well defined by
> > the "human readable" subject indicator
> http://mediagods.com/tools/rgb2hex.html?464,294
> >
> > > The open issues, on the other hand, seem to shade
> off into
> > > community-specific philosophy with regard to the
> nature of the
> > > terms identified and of the relationships among
> terms.  They
> > > reflect that "evolving diversity" of choices about
> which "good
> > > practice" may for valid historical reasons be
still
> unclear --
> > > things like "# versus /", the descriptive
> attributes of terms,
> > > and details on publishing related documentation
and
> metadata.
> > >
> > > Again, for such issues of "evolving diversity", I
> think the
> > > VM TF note should simply summarize and point to
> ongoing work.
> > > The VM TF membership would be hopefully diverse
> enough that we
> > > could among ourselves come up with a reasonably
> representative
> > > set of relevant citations.
> >
> > Agreed
> >
> > Bernard
> >
> > Bernard Vatant
> > Senior Consultant
> > Knowledge Engineering
> > Mondeca - www.mondeca.com
> > bernard.vatant@mondeca.com

de
> [...]
> attributes of terms,
> > > and details on publishing related documentation
and
> metadata.
> > >
> > > Again, for such issues of "evolving diversity", I
> think the
> > > VM TF note should simply summarize and point to
> ongoing work.
> > > The VM TF membership would be hopefully diverse
> enough that we
> > > could among ourselves come up with a reasonably
> representative
> > > set of relevant citations.

> dozen of very difficult and open
> > > issues on
> of the art for all of them
> > in a single
> the least. So I was about to
> > > say "count me
> get lost again in a known maze :(
> > >
> > > It was precisely this fear that motivated me to
ask
> for a
> > > conference call.  I agree we could easily get
> bogged down by
> > > wading too far into detail.  The diversity of
> trees, however,
> > > should perhaps not prevent us from stepping back
> and describing
> > > the forest.
> > >
> > > Tom
> > >
> > > --
> > > Dr. Thomas Baker
> Thomas.Baker@izb.fraunhofer.de
> > > Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven
> mobile +49-160-9664-2129
> > > Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft
> work +49-30-8109-9027
> > > 53754 Sankt Augustin, Germany
> fax +49-2241-144-2352
> > > Personal email: thbaker79@alumni.amherst.edu
> > >

> > To unsubscribe from this mailing list (and be
removed

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/tm-pubsubj/members/leave_workgroup.php.