Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: IETF as a host organization for XTM?

Michel Biezunski wrote:

> Yesterday, Dianne Kennedy and I had a meeting with Cecilia Preston, who
> is involved in the ISOC (Internet Society) family of standards, of which
> IETF is a member.
> Cecilia is the head of IRTF (Internet Resource Task Force), which takes care
> of how things are addressed on the Internet, such as URNs (in supplement
> to URI and URLs).
>
> It appears that the model followed by IETF is to be completely open.
> Since there is a consensus within the XTM group for an open standard,
> it might be quite interesting, we think, to make a review of what these
> standards
> are, and to decide whether we want, as a group, go for an RFC (Request for
> Comments) in the ISOC family of standards, which by the way is not directly
> related to W3C, which means that we might as well end up also with a note to
> W3C.

For those who have participated in past IETF activities, there's (as I
suppose in any organizational/functional structure) pros and cons to
the IETF. Things tend to take a long time, and there's sometimes very
little control over timelines and discussion, unless (in my experience)
one has a very strong chair.

I do think a resultant IETF RFC is a Very Good Idea, as one of the things
we would gain is potential endorsement from a true standards organization.

It has been pointed out to me a potential problem with the member ratio
requirements current charter: what about companies that can lay claim to
being both a technology and content company? Large organizations like
Sun, Microsoft, IBM, etc. can easily be called both. Who is the arbiter?

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

   the honey bee is sad and cross and wicked as a weasel
   and when she perches on you boss she leaves a little measle -- archy