Subject: [xtm-wg] Portal Markup Language and Topic Map Template

I recently posted the following question in the
topicmapmail@infoloom.com mailing list:

"I am looking for comments regarding the differences between using
DTD (i.e., PML) and topic map template for exchange of information
maintained by a typical portal tool, e.g., metadata about information
objects, users, groups, access controls, subscriptions, and
notifications.  It seems to me that most (if not all) of these portal
related metadata can be "standardized" in terms of topic map
templates that are declarative in nature and can be reused and shared
by portals from different vendors.  As a result, the mechanics for
sharing and exchange portal information can be accomplished in the
form of the standard topic map interchange format (be it ISO-based
Varlink or XTM-based XLink).  I wonder if the differences between
these two approaches might be architecturally significant, e.g.,
flexibility, extensibility, portability, etc."

Since I have not heard any responses yet, I thought I might post the
same question in this XTM-WG forum as well.  Again, anyone care to
comment?  (BTW: I won't be offended if you tell me that I am asking a
stupid question :-)

Thanks,

Scott Tsao
The Boeing Company