Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Re: Portal Markup Language and Topic Map Template

--- In xtm-wg@egroups.com, Sam Hunting <sam_hunting@y...> wrote:

> As far as "template" vs AF: at bottom we have a contractual issue --
> two or more parties come to an agreement on the semantics of an
> information set.
>
> That is what happens, explicitly or implicitly, during interchange.
>
> If the agreement is explicit, and the syntax of the agreement is
stable
> and formal, then the contract is (a) much more likely to be executed
> without problems, and (b) the responsibility for problems is much
more
> likely to be clear.
>
> AFs enable explicit agreements using a stable (ISO) formalism. If
> "templates" are based on a formalism that is not so stable, than the
> agreements based on them are also less likely to be stable.

It seems to me that the explicit agreements will be based on a common
registry/repository facility that all parties agree to use during the
interchange, regardless whether it is a formalism based ISO or W3C or
else.  (Besides, as I understand TM template is by definition a TM
also.)  For example, I can anticipate the common registry/repository
will be used for all kinds of metadata (in the generic sense),
including XML Namespace, DTD, XML Schema, RDF, Topic Maps,
Architecture Forms, etc.

> What I wonder is if there is a way to have the best in both worlds
> (stability and implementation), by expressing the templates in RELAX
> syntax, since RELAX is to be fast-tracked at ISO, and perhaps can
get
> around some of the limitations of DTD syntax.

I do not know what RELAX is, but based on my comments above I don't
think the common registry/repository has to be limited to contain DTD
syntax only.

Scott