Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] XTM Requirements (Was RE: Is this valid per HyTime? - topicmapmai l thread)

[ Peter Jones writes]

> Your x,y,z attributes look to me like something I would only want if
> I chose to look at a topic map in that way: application specific.
> I.e. something that you could quite easily add in the form
>
> jackpark:x="120" jackpark:y="234" jackpark:z="456"
>
> so that they would be of use to you, but could be ignored by
> conforming processors.

Actually, Jack proposed attribute syntax:

    <topic x="120">

*not* namespace syntax ("jackpark:x:).

Before advocating namespace syntax for XTM please, if you are not
already doing so, follow the current namespace discussions at W3C.
http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/05/17/deviant.html is a good starting
point.

S.

P.S. I'm torn between  (a) rejecting them entirely, as a conceptual
morass, and (b) trying to hijack them to put them to good use. Frankly,
in practice namespaces pollute the very notion of generic identifier
with processing information, I'm inclined to alternative (a). Lie down
with dogs, get up with fleas.

=====
<? "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
    -- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations ?>

http://mail.yahoo.com/

Add the interactive dimension to your web pages.
Use the MozquitoTM Factory with your editor and form the web today!
Form the Web today - visit: