Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] more lazy processing vs. extended XLink and BOS proc essing

Amended:
 .. with names in different scopes ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Jones [mailto:peterj@wrox.com]
Sent: 20 July 2000 16:17
To: 'xtm-wg@egroups.com'
Subject: [xtm-wg] more lazy processing vs. extended XLink and BOS
processing

Hi,

I have a question that represents a simplification of my previous mail.
In the public domain:
Two people each develop their own topic map about 'Aeroplanes' each of which
contains the topic 'Flying Boats' but in completely different scopes and
with differing subject descriptors. I come to my web interface wanting to
know about Flying Boats so I type in the string. The request goes to the
Uberserver, looks in the Uberlookup table and digs out the two topics.

What happens next?

>From ISO 13250 -- 5.2.1 --
Any two or more topic links that reference the same subject by means of
their identity attributes are equivalent to a single topic link that has the
union of the characteristics (the names, occurrences, and associations) of
both topic links. The two or more topic links may be merged, and/or
applications may process and/or render them as if they have been merged.

NOTE 21: The two or more topic links do not have to refer to the same
subject descriptor in order to be merged under this rule. It is only
necessary that the subject that is somehow indicated by the two identity
attributes be one and the same subject. ...

Looking for all references to merger (searched on 'merg'), this appears to
be as good as it gets.

Have I missed something?

cheers
Peter

Create professional forms and interactive web pages in less time
with Mozquito(tm) technology.
Form the Web today - visit:

Add the interactive dimension to your web pages.
Use the MozquitoTM Factory with your editor and form the web today!
Form the Web today - visit: