Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: Structural constraints are extensions of equality

Andrius,

Here are some general ideas I had when reading your mail on xtm-wg
and
some of your articles.

When I am thinking, the thing that could be isolated and named a "an
indivisible thought" is always about a particular item/topic/concept.
The "thought" itself almost always concerns one or more
remarks/reflections about some couple/triple/... of individual
"indivisible thoughts".
But when I reconsider one of the "indivisible thoughts" in most cases
they appear to be composed of other subthoughts that have
associations/relationships to other items. And this is a never-ending
story.

IMO the subdivision in Sequences, Hierarchies and Networks is correct
but sequences, hierarchies and (sub) networks are always subpart of
the overall network. A particular sequence or hierarchy is always
relatively short compared to the networks they belong to.

One practical aspect of registering thoughts is that they only
express
that part of my real reflections that seem to be "new". Most of my
context, i.e. the information what for me is obvious, isn't
mentioned.
This means that when I review that note sometime later I will fully
understand what I mentioned. On the other hand, somebody else will
not
be able to understand completely what I wrote down, as his
context/knowledge will be different.
So if the purpose of writing down the thought is to be remembered by
myself this works fine, but if the thought has to be communicated to
somebody else the form/depth/explanations must be completely
different.

As for the conversion of structured thoughts between one tool and
another I have one remark. I didn't came across a very important
aspect of conversion in your papers.
When converting from a tool which let you express only partly
thoughts
and the relationships between them (like theBrain with only one
implicit parent-child relationship and n implicit links) to a tool
which enables you to express more completely the thoughts (like one
based on Topic Maps, or like Notion System based on something close
a semantic network) you will not be able to supply the data necessary
to reach the full power of the target tool.
The other way around (from the more complete to the lesser tool)
there
should be no big problems.

This implicates that the intermediate format must be one allowing the
data from the most complete tool to be expressed completely without
any losses.

Friendly Greetings

Ronald Poell

--- In xtm-wg@egroups.com, Andrius Kulikauskas <ms@m...> wrote:
> I wrote earlier about the work by the Minciu Sodas Laboratory to
develop
> an import/export standard (as simple as a spreadsheet) for tools for
> organizing thoughts (such as TheBrain, www.thebrain.com, and
> MindManager, www.mindmanager.com) with emphasis on the kinds of
> structural constraints used.  We may describe this as a
simplification