Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Knowledge management claims re XTM (and Topic Maps...)

I can envision a need for domain-specific topic map standards--templates
applying to particular subject areas--which would better be specified
outside the scope of but based on the Topic Map standard, much as efforts
like ebXML are standardizing based the XML standard (but outside its
immediate scope).  In this way, Topic Maps could become a language for
specifying knowledge frameworks. I'm not sure if this is the intent of the
Topic Map specification, but it is the role I am hoping topic maps will
play.

The deficiencies in the current standard are (IMHO) primarily in the
following areas: not being able to specify the applicability of generalized
symbolic logic operations to specific topic map components, notably topic
types and association types (relations like transitivity, symmetry, mutual
exclusivity, etc.); and not being able to define abstract association types.

Dale Hunscher
South Wind Design, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Freese [mailto:eric@isogen.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2000 8:09 AM
To: xtm-wg@egroups.com
Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Knowledge management claims re XTM (and Topic
Maps...)

I agree with Dale that not specifying anything is perhaps not the best
route.  While I am not advocating a change to the ISO standard, I do believe
that there are some useful constructs which could be defined, using public
subjects for example, by which some common semantics could be defined.  This
would greatly improve the interchange and interoperability of topic map
based data - no matter what application it is used for (indexing, knowledge
representation, etc.).  Holger Rath's talk at Montreal was a step in the
right direction, IMHO.

Eric Freese                                    Email: eric@isogen.com
Director - Professional Services - Midwest     Voice:    651 636 9180
ISOGEN International/DataChannel               Fax:      651 636 9191
1611 West County Road B - Suite 204            WWW:    www.isogen.com
St. Paul, MN 55113                                www.datachannel.com

ZixMail enables you to easily send secure email to anyone with an email
address. Use ZixMail instead of overnight deliveries to save time and
money. Download free at