Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] [xtm-iss] Materials

Apply NOW!

Dale,
The talk at Xtreme 2000 made it, as I recall, quite clear that imbedding
anything in SVG left each activity separate.  I don't recall that any
modification to XTM would be required in order to imbed it inside SVG.
Graphical representation remains quite separate from knowledge
representation. Your humble opinion is shared by nearly everyone I have
talked with on this matter. My hunch is, however, that SVG would need some
reference into XTM in order to handle mouse clicks, but references to SVG
from XTM would not be necessary. I hope that I have been able to clear up
the notion that there exists any entanglements between XTM and SVG.  The
marriage of SVG with XTM seems to make sense, and will likely continue to do
so until I actually code it up and try it.

Jack

From: Dale Hunscher <dale@supportability.com>
> When I look at your message it sounds to me as though you are saying there
> would be XTM topic maps that would have some sort of outer wrapper
> associated with some sort of graphics format? IMHO any kind of graphical
> representation issue is separate from something like a topic map which
> represents the knowledge layer.
>
> Topic maps originated from the insight that knowledge needed to be
separated
> from content because it had value in and of itself. Performing that
> separation and then entangling the knowledge layer with the presentation
> layer seems to be one step forward and then N steps back.
>
> Apologies if I am misunderstanding your intent. I have made this kind of
> mistake before and paid for it, so perhaps I'm being overly sensitive to
it.

> Dale Hunscher
> South Wind Design, Inc.

HyTime
> with XML; my hunch is that XTM ought to "be there when the coast arrives"
> (old California earthquake joke).
>
> On public subjects and identity, I must ask if public subjects take on the
> semantics associated with inheritance.  If so, multiple identity links
would
> imply multiple inheritance, n'est-ce pas?
>
> I did not see the white paper on using XSLT to transform TMs to SVG.  Does
> it exist?  I got from the Xtreme 2000 that it is possible to imbed TMs
> inside SVG, meaning that one need not do a post-hoc transform.  The TM DTD
> does not make room for the necessary information for any kind of graphical
> presentation, so imbeding makes more sense.  Here, I am refering to the
open
> source project to be included with the book.  When a graphically-generated
> XTM object is serialized, the serialization process starts with SVG,
> imbedding the XTM stuff inside (at least, that's the way I plan to code it
> up).  No layout information is lost.
>
> Just my 0.02 Euros for now.
> Jack

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
immediately.