Subject: [xtm-wg] XTM Requirements: Possible Extensions to ISO13250 to consider

Apply NOW!

Hi,

Over the weekend I finally got around to reading AnnW's excellent use cases.
I also managed to devote a small amount of time to thinking about how they
(and a use case I suggested) might be implemented. From this thinking two
intuitions arose -- and I stress that they are just intuitions at this time.
(I apologise if these issues have precendents raised by others like HH Rath
and Steve Pepper that I have not had time read yet.)

1) Not being familiar with HyTime in any depth could someone who is tell me
whether it is possible to have an association or topic in which it is
possible to specify an aggregate link in which some of the link ends are
specified as bi-directional and some are specified uni-directional?
I.e. within an assocrl, specify which topics are uni-directional link ends
and which are not?
Anyone with the relevant experience know if this would be a bad idea or not?

2)In ISO 13250 the semantics of scope is rigidly defined, but only one
semantic model is used -- namespace-disambiguation. I wondered whether it
might make sense (outside of the use of TMs in merging indexes) to define
several different semantic models for the scope, e.g.
superclass-subclass inheritance of scope names;
set-member relations between scope name sets;
and to be able to indicate which model is being used where  -- whole TM,
parts of TM, etc.
For instance, if I want to use TMs to serialize multiple instances of an
application (including the states of all objects) into one TM, then at the
very least the set-member semantic would be useful.
So at the top level I would have scope = "ObjectSet1"
and for each resource link in the link set have, e.g., 1-scope =
"ObjectSet1-Object1", 2-scope = "ObjectSet1-Object2", and so forth.
Anyone with the relevant experience know if this would be a bad idea or not?

HTH,
Peter