Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] XTM-ISS Important XLink difference in DTDs

Comments below...

From: Dale Hunscher <dale@supportability.com>
<massive snippage/>
>I would like to second Graham's concern, or raise one of my own if I am not
> echoing his concern correctly. There is a feeling when reading all the
> material on topic Maps that it is a great benefit that everything is a
> topic, and on one level that is true. On another level, though, if
> everything is a topic, but there are many different flavors of topics,
> processing of topics will rightfully ignore their topic-ness and focus on
> their flavors. Sometimes it is better to have different entities for
> different purposes, even though they may *also* have some part of their
> nature in common.

Could we see a few examples of the concept of *flavor*? For instance,
consider the topic *library*.  I can use scopes to focus occurrences to
repositories of books, and I can also focus occurrences to program code.
Would those be *flavors* of the library topic?  How can I focus associations
linked with that topic?  Must I subclass (subtopic?) library to, say,
booklibrary and codelibrary?  Note that we often refer to DNA as a library.

Dale, I believe you have raised an important question; in particular,
importance rises when we begin to discuss using topic maps to represent
ontologies.  My experience building ontologies has shown that, given
database issues of duplicate names, we sometimes use *namespaces* to declare
what *scopes* appear to cover.  That way, we can have a literature
namespace, a software namespace, and a molecular biology namespace and still
use the word *library* and keep our links aligned.  It strikes me that if we
wish to satisfy the needs of ontologists, we must look at their ontology
while constructing ours.

> The looseness of the current approach may work well for corpora like
> encyclopedias where the material is fairly loosely structured and no
> significant liability issues are involved; however, for the kinds of
> repositories my clients deal with (e.g., pharmaceutical and legal
> information) precise specification of content and data type is important

What means *looseness*?

Cheers
Jack

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
immediately.

Your family still won't know what you do.  At least they'll know where.
The resources, brainpower & breadth of opportunities at Microsoft are
unmatched. The only question is are you ready for that kind of impact?