Subject: [xtm-wg] Assoc and Assocrl types

Dave

>>The real question is how this should be expressed in XML, where link entries are handled using href attributes. A much better approach here would be:
>
><assoc type="married" xlink:type="extended">
>     <husband xlink:type="locator" href="mypath[id='George234']" >George</husband>
>     <wife xlink:type="locator" href="mypath[id='Matilda123']">Matilda</wife>
></assoc>

>I'd do with that... except for the fact that I'm still 'invalid', since
husband & wife are hardly to be expected in the DTD!

They can in ISO topic maps, but this is only possible because ISO uses Architectural Forms. if we want this to work in XML Topic Maps then XTM has to be an architectural form, just as XLink is.

Of course, what I should have written was:

<Relationship xtm:type="assoc" xtm:types="married" xlink:type="extended">
    <husband xtm:type="assocrl" xlink:type="locator" href="mypath[id='George234']" >George</husband>
    <wife xtm:type="assocrl" xlink:type="locator" href="mypath[id='Matilda123']">Matilda</wife>
</Relationship>

>I *do* want compliance with a simple DTD... but I also want
semantics that makes sense as Tim said, to the human element.

The above has semantics for the GIs that make sense to human readers and semantics for attributes that make sense for machines.

Issue remaining? How to align Martins/my suggestion with a DTD

Easy - simlpy make the xtm and xlink attributes fixed attributes of a DTD (which will also define the namespaces)

<grin>and incorporate Elliotes indirection</grin>

Ah, now you are asking too much ;-( You simply cannot have indirection and XLink. Though if you think about it carefully, you might get to realize that relative URIs and Base provide an indirection mechanism already for all Web applications.

<TopicMap Base="http://www.myco.com/TopicMaps/April2001/">
<Husband href="husbands/April1999.xml[id='George234']">...

Martin

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Click here for the scoop: