Subject: [sam_hunting@yahoo.com: Re: [xtm-wg] Swindon minutes]

Sam points out a lacuna/problem in the minutes.  The
fix I propose is appended.

> Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:31:01 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Sam Hunting <sam_hunting@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Swindon minutes
> To: mb@infoloom.com
> Cc: srn@coolheads.com
>
> This portion of the discussion is in the draft minutes, but didn't make
> it through to the (incredibly lucid) final version.
>
> Re namespaces:
>
> <quote>
> 1) The interchange DTD will not include a prefix. It will have no
> provision to make one.
>
> 2) The root element declares a fixed xmlns attribute with the value
> <A href="http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/"
> target=_blank>http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/</A> that references the
> XTM
> specification.
>
> 3) No prefix in the examples. The first example specifies the xml
> namespace attribute on the topicmap element.
>
> 4) 'Namespace constraint: Leading "XTM"
>
> Prefixes beginning with the three letter sequence x, t, m in any case
> combination, are reserved for use by XTM and XTM-related
> specifications.'
>
> Approved unanimously.
> </quote>
>
> Thanks!
>
> S.

Proposed fix is below my signature.  Scroll down!

-Steve

--
Steven R. Newcomb, Consultant
srn@coolheads.com

voice: +1 972 359 8160
fax:   +1 972 359 0270

405 Flagler Court
Allen, Texas 75013-2821 USA

"We're not exactly anti-schema, but we're sure pro-DTD."
 -- doctypes.org

    The XTM Specification will neither encourage nor
    discourage users from embarking on either of these
    courses of action.  However, the Spec will specify a
    specific URI that invoked the topicmaps.org domain name,
    to be used to specify the XTM DTD as the namespace; we
    hope this will encourage a modicum of consistency among
    topic maps that use the XTM DTD as an XML Namespace.

*** beginning of correction (addition) submitted by Sam Hunting 2000/10/24

    [no paragraph] The XTM Specification will make the
    following arrangements with regard to the use of XML
    Namespaces:

    * The root element of the of the XTM DTD will have a
      fixed -xmlns- attribute with a value that is a URI
      that references the XTM Specification.

    * In the examples found in the explanatory text of the
      XTM Specification, no namespace prefixes will appear,
      except in the first example, in which only the -xmlns-
      attribute will be explicitly and redundantly
      specified.

    * The text will state that prefixed beginning with the
      three-character sequence "xtm", in any case
      combination, are reserved for use by XTM and
      XTM-related specifications.

*** end of correction (addition) submitted by Sam Hunting 2000/10/24

    The XTM Spec will not espouse any position with respect

I also added clarifying language to a subsequent paragraph, which
now reads, in part:

    ... When an
    instance declares the XTM DTD as an XML Namespace, the
    DTD can still be used to validate the instance merely by
    defining the parameter entity to be a string that is the
    name as the declared XML Namespace prefix, followed by
    ":".  The Syntax Subgroup decided to recommend that, for
    the sake of human readability, the XTM DTD should not
    employ this technique; the interchange DTD will not
    include a prefix, nor will it include parameter entity
    provisions for adding prefixes.  (However, it should be
    noted that the parameter entity technique has been
    useful for those who must use XML Namespaces; it has
    been invaluable in the W3C XHTML work, and it has also
    been used in the TEI context.  The XTM Specification
    will neither promote nor deprecate the parameter entity
    technique.)

eGroups eLerts