Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] The Nature of Things...

Chris, you raise valuable points.  Comments below...

From: Chris Angus <chris.angus@btinternet.com>

> Jack

<snip>

> I think that the trouble is that people have been finding it quite hard to
> model the 'easy' things well, so the idea of modelling the hard things can
> seem like too much of a challenge.

And, I always hoped that Topic Maps were going to bring more folks into the
modeling game.

<snip>
> When you start looking at other forms (e.g. non-Newtonian) of system then
> other things are coming into play, notably the interplay of the
metalanguage
> and object language levels and a greater need for handling abstract
> entities.

Here, I was thinking more in terms of the algebras of topological spaces.  I
cannot speak to the interplay involved between levels of languages. It has
occured to me that complex systems are not easily modeled with simple
logics; graphs of complex systems I have built in the past have proven
difficult to "tune" and validate. It seems possible that others may have had
different success in doing similar projects.

> It seems clear to me that topic maps have to have the ability to express
> things in the 'hard' domains as well as the domain that you describe as
> 'easy'.  But then we are not trying to come up with some all-encompassing
> data model for those domains.
>
> Chris Angus

I would argue that it is difficult to understand what it is that *we* are
trying to do.  All-encompassing data models?  I cannot imagine that use
case.  I can easily imagine topic maps used to catalog or otherwise describe
domains of interest anywhere on the web, but I cannot imagine topic maps
ever serving as the data model for all the web.  I do, however, suspect that
topic maps can be grounded in a data model that, itself, provides an
ontological grounding for the web.  I have been discussing such an idea on
the other topic maps list with Bernard Vatant and others. In fact, Bernard
has moved that discussion over to a web site:
http://www.quicktopic.com/4/H/iDrkiq6meKMpRbho5Z6j And, I believe that my
thinking here has some level of importance to the *public subjects*
discussed in the XTM specification. A somewhat brief statement on that is
that I suspect that public subjects -- semantic grounding for topics --
ultimately cannot be point sources; rather they are likely to be akin to
attractor basins, which form clouds around a concept space defined by
collaborative effort.  Topics themselves are subject to conceptual drift.
Given that view, I am inclined to repeat my thought that we ought to think
about modeling the hard stuff, but not in Version 1.0.

Jack Park

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
immediately.

eLerts