Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: [xtm-iss] why not IDREF(s) instead of CDATA in tm.dtd type refs ?

hi,
   Ontopia's comments (on tmdtd-00-09-25.txt)claims that
 "1) all references to topics should use URL syntax -but not IDREFs.
  2) declared values should be CDATA and thus include URLs.."

So I think the use of CDATA stems from this approach, and
subsequently the CDATA value for, say, "scope" attribute of "topic"
element have to be a URL referring to some topic -theme- (probably in
the topic map).
  Anyway, if my intuition above is true, why then instanceOf
attribute is CDATA in element topic and "%URI.datatype" in assoc ?
  I think that such issues should be clarified to make the DTD
proposal operational (& comprehensive) for others - well, at least I
myself need this...:)

Sengor.

P.S. a small example map can be quite illustrative; note that there
are a number of them around, but none of them can be claimed to be in
exact conformance with the latest DTD offer. (i.e., the "music" map
that comes with TM4J follows the IDREF tradition which seems quite
reasonable to me.)

--- In xtm-wg@egroups.com, tomas@i... wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we were studying the uploaded XTM DTD (tm.dtd) and we don't
understand
> why "IDREF" and "IDREFS" type were not used for type(s) attributes
of
> elements topicmap:topic, topicmap:occurs, topicmap:assoc,
> topicmap:assocrl, topicmap:facet and topicmap:facetval.
>
> The ISO Standard uses "CDATA" too, but says "Reference"
> in the comment. The "music" example uses topic id's for types, what
we
> think should be enforced, because it shall be possible to understand
> these values programmatically.
>
> Thanks for your comments on this
>
> Tomas

eLerts