Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Topics, Subjects, Things ( XTM-CMS)

Whilst in principle I agree with Bernard, we are in fact working
- in a very limited timescale
- with artefacts (topic maps) which are NOT in the mind
- with artefacts (topic maps) which are moreover incapable of addressing
directly anything outside themselves other than "resources" which are not in
the mind either.

I saw the "big picture" we discussed in CMS as clarifying that point, at
least, and making it clear that the relationships between the
things-in-the-mind, and the resources acting as surrogates for them in a
topic map, - however fascinating - had to be out of scope for XTM, if we are
to complete our task.

When we ge widespread adoption, & various of us are designing topic maps for
large/difficult applications, I am sure that we will be drawing on a range
of perspectives and methodologies for designing relevant/useful concept
structures - and that that experience will give rise to another order of
debate altogether about TM design techniques & conceptual modelling. I look
forward to it...

Cheers

Ann W.

eGroups eLerts