Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Dynamic Generation and Serving of Topic Maps

[Peter Jones:]
> Q. How do I construct that minimal TM? I.e. how do I get the parts
> that might reside in fifty or more separate TM docs, given that I
> only want to grab those parts, without shoving the entire set of
> fifty+ docs through my XTM processor to get there?

I think your scenario is best handled between processed topic maps
(topic map graphs -- in which there are nodes that correspond to
topics).  To support that kind of functionality, we need the ability
to query topic map graphs that may be maintained remotely, and to
aggregate the results of the queries as new topic map graphs, and then
possibly to convert those graphs into interchangeable XTM documents.

Given the short deadline, I don't see how we can develop a topic map
query language, which I think is the most basic aspect of the kind of
scenario you're proposing, and publish it with XTM 1.0.

I think it's ultimately going to be *essential* that we do develop a
topic map query language, though.

-Steve

--
Steven R. Newcomb, Consultant
srn@coolheads.com

voice: +1 972 359 8160
fax:   +1 972 359 0270

405 Flagler Court
Allen, Texas 75013-2821 USA

"We're not exactly anti-schema, but we're sure pro-DTD."
 -- doctypes.org