Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Dynamic Generation and Serving of Topic Maps

[Dave Pawson <xtm-wg@egroups.com> on Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:35:20 +0000]

>> Is XPointer so oriented to tree structures that it is subtoptimal for
>> XTM's more graph-like structures? OTOH, could the "XTMQL document" of
>> which you speak be a reference implemenation, leaving optimizations up
>> to vendors?

> xpath is suited / optimised for XML.
> With xpath an expression can find any element with given id/
> content value/ nodeset with given conditions etc.

> If its there, it can be found, using xpath.

> xpointer makes it easier to 'point to' a given block of
> content within an element. Tis all.

> The tools are there, just takes a little getting used to :-)

> Regards DaveP

I think what SRN was talking about was finding topicmap information
thru topicmap semantics ( like finding a topic with a particular type,
characteristics, scope, and role in an association). XPointer/xpath
allow you to find node in a xml document but you need a very
specialized engine with a specified query syntax to find such
information. Xpath can be use as the addressing in this engine but a
lot of work has to be done in standardizing how to extract
information from a topicmap. A topicmap is a lot more than an XML
document. Is a type of semantic network.

Luis

eGroups eLerts