Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Commitee work in Dallas

Nicely put, Sam!

I agree with everything you said, but would add a variant of Parkinson's
law. Sometimes the work shrinks to fit the time available! I believe that is
closer to what happened in this case.

It was a great, rocky ride. Thanks to all!

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Hunting [mailto:sam_hunting@yahoo.com]
Sent: 13 November 2000 17:17
To: xtm-wg@egroups.com
Subject: [xtm-wg] Commitee work in Dallas

There are a few famous sayings about committee work.

An obscure one is that "A commitee is an animal with 4 back legs."

Meaning that committees cannot move forward. Here again, I believe that
the saying is wrong; great progress was made.

A second is "A camel is a horse designed by a committee."

Well, I for one believe that we went into Dallas with a horse -- and
came out with a horse.

I'm not suffering from buyer's remorse, and believe that with the DTD
we can (as Daniel said) go to DC with our heads "held high."

A third is "work expands to fill the time available for its
completion." Here however, Parkinson's law proved accurate (that's why
it's a Law) as the final tweaks to the syntax were completed at 4:55PM
on Sunday!

S.

P.P.S. An excellent operational definition of a simple conceptual model
would be one that can be made using a UML evaluation unit!

=====
<?-- "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
     - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations -->

eLerts