Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: Reification of topic map constructs

* Steven R. Newcomb

> Notes regarding the reification of topic map constructs as topic
> nodes.

While I agree with everything you write here I would like to voice some
concerns with this whole subject. I have the impression that in this
I am really out of step with the rest of the community, but as someone
barred from coming to f2f meetings I guess that is more or less
unavoidable.

The reification of topic map constructs is a radical change to the topic
map model, a model that has not even been properly described yet.
(My concern over these two things is closely interconnected.)

I feel very strongly that while reification is useful it does not belong in
XTM 1.0. I feel that it is necessary for topic maps as described in
ISO 13250 (possibly slightly extended) to be fully defined and agreed
on before further substantial changes are made.

Reification of topic map constructs has both deep and wide
implications for implementations of topic maps and also for TMQL,
and I feel, again very strongly, that it is very important to stop the
forward momentum for long enough that we can properly define the
status quo before moving on.

Am I totally out of step with everyone else in thinking this?

--Lars M.

eLerts