Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] publication strategy for the XTM brand

FWIW: branding is about *positioning* your stuff in the mind of the
consumer.  Most folks believe that because the MacDonald's brand is about
hamburgers, then hamburgers must be their business.  Not so.  MacDonald's is
in the real estate development business.  Slinging burgers just happens to
be the vehicle by which they add value to land.

From: Sam Hunting <sam_hunting@yahoo.com>

<snippage>
> (1) The XTM AG is building a brand -- the XTM brand. At MacDonald's you
> know what you get; from Moet Hennessy you know what you get; from W3C
> you know what you get... Etc. (This is why a logo is important. The
> logo is a proxy for the brand.)
>
> (2) Brands are bundled characteristics. Among the characteristics I
> personally would like for the XTM brand to have are timeliness,
> simplicity, reliability, powerful yet reasonably easy implementation,
> and service to the web community (experts chime in please).
>
> (3) Our deliverables need to reinforce the qualities we wish our brand
> to have (just like MacDonalds) Pragmatically, that means we need to
> prevent the 1.0 spec (and, indeed, all our deliverables) from turning
> into a "blivet".

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
immediately.

eGroups eLerts