Subject: [xtm-wg] Towards XTM 2.0

While at Dallas, I was so struck with the conceptual model that it occurred
to me that the concept Association could be extended to another one:
ConditionalAssociation.  With that, one could then use a TM as, get this, an
inference engine.  Gads.

Doing inferences is one of the primary goals of the Semantic Web initiative,
and it may just be that XTM could play a larger role in that than originally
envisioned.

We are not alone, however.  Consider this web site:
http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/ruleml/ <http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/ruleml/>
RuleML.  It turns out that, in my deepest memorybank, there resides a note
that IBM recently got a patent on something like RuleML.  I just don't have
time to dig that one up right now.

>From that web site:
"Rules in (and for) the Web have become a mainstream topic since inference
rules were marked up for E-Commerce
<http://www.research.ibm.com/rules/home.html>  and were identified as a
Design Issue <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Rules.html>  of the Semantic
Web <http://www.semanticweb.org/> , and since transformation rules were put
to practice for document
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/javaxml/chapter/ch09.html> generation from a
central XML repository ( as used here
<http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/ruleml/#Practice-Preach> ). Rules have also
continued to play an important role in Intelligent Agents
<http://agents.umbc.edu/>  and AI shells
<http://www.mailgate.org/comp/comp.ai.shells/>  for knowledge-based systems,
which need a Web interchange format, too. The Rule Markup Initiative has
taken initial steps towards defining a shared Rule Markup Language (RuleML),
permitting both forward (bottom-up) and backward (top-down) rules in XML for
deduction, rewriting, and further inferential-transformational tasks. The
initiative started during PRICAI 2000 <http://www3.cm.deakin.edu.au/pricai/>
, as described in the Original RuleML
<http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/ruleml/RuleML/sld001.htm> Slide, and was launched
<http://www.mailgate.org/comp/comp.ai.shells/msg00100.html>  in the Internet
on 2000-11-10. A complementary effort
<http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/ruleml/#Engines>  coordinates the development of
Java rule engines. A Rule Markup Workshop is planned in conjunction with the
third International Conference on Electronic Commmerce, ICEC2001
<http://icec.net/> , in Vienna, Austria, in October 2001. "

My thinking is this: once you are deeply ensconsed in navigating a site
using XTM, why not be able to ask logical question to and about that site?
Add inferences and GroveMinder and you've got a really big slice of useful

Jack

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
immediately.

eGroups eLerts