Subject: [xtm-wg] tag line: the GPS metaphor and other metaphors

Hi,

Just a few thoughts on this...

1) I think we should pick our metaphors carefully.  For the GPS metaphor,
for example, I would ask "What does GPS allow us to do?"  And I would suggest
(not knowing the right answer) that the answer might be along these
lines: "It allows us to locate ourselves or other things by means of
coordinates in a given (earth-based) frame of reference / coordinate
system."

Then I would ask,  "OK,  well, how do Topic Maps help you get precise
location information (analgous to coordinates) in a  particular
'information frame of reference' within your own (information)  universe?"

Is this locating feature of one thing relative to another the key virtue
of Topic Maps that we want to plug?

2) I realize my question may not be the right question for this metaphor,
and my answer may not the right answer for the question.  But, ...
I think that whatever metaphor is chosen, certain questions will
inevitably come up that the group will want to be reasonably sure that
they can answer well enough so that the metaphor continues to make sense
after a bit of probing.

I'm not against any of the metaphors or suggestions that have been
made.  I just don't want to see us make a stab at something and then
later have to backpeddle because we haven't thought through certain
implications of the metaphors we've chosen.

>From the sidelines,

Jim