Subject: [xtm-wg] Late tag line suggestion: Piloting the web

Hi folks, I *know* this is way too late but I have been out of touch with a
lot of travel and am only now catching up given that its not Thanksgiving
in Canada and everything finally seems quiet.  I only just discovered that
a tag line was being sought.

I like the imagery of the verb "piloting" because to me it is the action of
someone who is actually doing something with navigation, they are getting
somewhere, they would be using a GPS, they have a target destination.  When
using Topic Maps people are actually piloting their way around, which to me
has more of an action connotation than just navigating.

I recently took a chartered Cessna flight of 90 minutes to a client that
was close enough to require a thousand-kilometer 6-hour (with layovers)
commercial flight and drive ("you can't get there from here").  I sat in
the co-pilot seat and watched the pilot use the standard green-coloured
navigation chart showing the location of the beacons and the lines
indicating travel corridors between them.  I noted to myself how the
diagram looked *just like* one of Steve Newcomb's topic map diagrams of
circles and lines ... and then I pictured one of Steve's standards meeting
discussions regarding Topic Maps how he "walked" along from topic to topic
along interconnected lines and how he could have equally been pointing to
one of these air navigation charts.  That was when I said to myself that
Steve was "piloting" from topic to topic just as the pilot was getting me
from beacon to beacon.

A logo could be an abstraction of an air navigation chart, a ship's helm
wheel, or flying cap and goggles, or some other piece of paraphernalia
associated with vessels that are piloted.  My son has one of these charts
from some travel a few years ago and if I can find it I was thinking of
making a very light watermark background from it upon which I would put the
text of my presentations.

"Piloting the web" is a catch phrase I'll be using at times myself, though
not in competition with TopicMaps.org, just my own summary of the
applicability of the technology.

Being involved in a lot of committee work myself, I understand there is
little or no chance of this being useful to the group at this late stage,
but I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw this into the ring.

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.             http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/