Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Ramen noodles

I think so... the Flavor Packet contains the occurrence links. Without the
packet, the only flavor is the flavor of the noodles (i.e. the knowledge
embedded in the structure itself). IMHO knowledge is about relationships,
and is abstract, whereas what occurrences represent information, which is
concrete.

And then there is wisdom, which is the ineffable art of knowing when a
metaphor has been driven into the ground....   ;-)

Sam Hunting wrote:

> Then can you reformulate this in positive terms? Ie, fix what is
> broken?
>
> S.
>
> --- Dale Hunscher <dale@supportability.com> wrote:
> > Rigorousness is missing here! You haven't accounted for the Flavor
> > Packet.
> >
> > Sam Hunting wrote:
> >
> > > This is probably a well-worn metaphor, but here goes:
> > >
> > > A Topic Map is like a package of Ramen noodles.
> > >
> > > Ramen noodles transfer the taste of Ramen noodles from the noodle
> > > maker to you when you follow the directions on the Ramen noodle
> > > package (by adding water, and so on, to reconstitute them).
> > >
> > > Topic maps (the noodles) transfer knowledge (the taste of noodles)
> > > when you process them using the topic map Processing Model
> > > (the directions on the package).
> > >
> > > S.
> > >
> > > =====
> > > <!-- "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
> > >      - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations -->

> =====
> <!-- "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
>      - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations -->

eGroups eLerts