Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Proposal for inviting David Steinberg as a guest.

I second and vote for this one.  Michel, how bout voting for Bernard?

----- Original Message -----
From: Michel Biezunski <mb@infoloom.com>
To: Xtm-Wg@Egroups. Com <xtm-wg@egroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2000 3:26 PM

> I would like to submit to the vote of the AG that David Steinberg becomes
an
> invited guest
>
> I consider David highly qualified to contribute actively to the work that
is
> done by the
> Authoring Group. David not only represents the user perspective on topic
> maps, but his expertise on related standards, such as RDF, SOAP, ebXML,
> etc., makes his contribution invaluable. David has attended a 2 day
workshop
> I have been teaching in New York and therefore is not a beginner in topic
> maps.
>
> I have asked him to present his activity to the group.

> I have worked in the Canadian government, dealing with development aid
> issues, since 1971.  My work has, at different times, involved policy,
> economic and information management analysis.  I have also managed a
> virtual library Web site.
>
> My interest in XML dates to the period leading up to the drafting of the
> XML 1.0 Recommendation.  As XML has developed, I have become convinced
that
> one of the most important hurdles the Internet must overcome is the
> development of semantic interoperability. Of course, many others have come
> to the same conclusion before me - eg. the W3C Semantic Web concept.
>
> It seems likely to me that Web development over the next few years might
> follow the path
>
> - development of vertical industry/discipline/sector schemas will continue
> as the main activity for the next 2 or 3 years
>
> - business "frameworks" eg. UDDI, ebXML, Biztalk will come into play
> starting next year, making schema-to-schema communication/data tagging
> transformation easier through establishing common conventions  for the use
> of XML in business data exchange; but,
>
> -Following this stage, there will be a great need for horizontal
> across-schema, computer to computer meaningful communications requiring
> some sort of metadata framework(s) which would allow the integration of
> commensurable metadata sets.  it seems to me that the leading contender
for
> that framework will be XTM.
>
> I am the now CIDA (Canada's international development agency) desk officer
> dealing with the World Bank's Global Development Gateway proposal (see
> http://www.worldbank.org/gateway/).  Many organizations involved in
> international development are concerned that the World Bank will use the
> Gateway to set the agenda in development.  The way subjects are broken
> down, related to each other, related to possible policy prescription etc.
> and the decisions made as to what links to present are ways that the
> proposed Gateway could be used to set the agenda.  I am currently trying
> conceptualize how Topic Maps, especially using inductive semantic
> acquisition methods, could be used to enable users of the Gateway site to
> [...]

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
immediately.

eLerts