Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] XTM syntax issues:solution

> Nikita Ogievetsky wrote that:
> > So you can address Association by topicRef.
> > This is written up somewhere in the spec.
> > Could not find exactly where, but remember reading
> > it. :-))
>
> In the light of above discussion, I don't agree with
> this view, as the XTM-PM report explicitly states that
> a topicRef can point to only t-node's (but not
> a-nodes); that is at page 33 of XTM-PM Dec 4 review:
>
> "it is always a repotable XTM error if a <topicRef>
> element references any resource that is not a topic
> element that explicitly demand the existence of
> t-node..."

Ok,
I searched the archives of the list and found the following:

Sat Dec 16 23:19:08 2000 Murray wrote:
Re: ANNOUNCE: update to XTM repository (new XTM 1.0 DTD; update to
proto-spec)
  c. changed #IMPLIED to #REQUIRED 'id' attribute on <association>, since
     it is a subtype of <topic> and has the same requirement on needing an
     unambiguous identifier. This will also guarantee that it can be
     pointed to by a topic. (I believe this corresponds to the conceptual
     model as well).
As Murray usually speaks for all the editors,
this was understood by me that "association" can be pointed at by <topicRef>
element.
However I agree and join Daniel that in order to avoid ambiguities spec has
to state
this clearly.

Thanks,

Nikita.